If you do an internet search under handyman services, how many handymen do you find? For many homeowners, it’s a guessing game to see which handyman will do the best home repair or remodeling job and who will give a fair price. Four Seasons Home Services, a home repair, remodeling and handyman services company, offers five tips to selecting the right handyman for your home repair or home remodeling job.
- Select a home improvement contractor that you know and trust, a company that has a long history of satisfied customers and can provide references.
- Ask for and call on the handyman’s local references. You should be checking to see if they were satisfied with the completed work, the level of service, and timeliness of the job.
- Make sure the handyman has worker’s compensation and liability insurance. If the contractor you hire does not have insurance you are liable and often your homeowner’s insurance policy will not cover liabilities if you hire an uninsured contractor.
- Get all estimates in writing. The contractor should submit a written estimate detailing all the repairs. Include the quality, quantity, weight, color, size and name brands you expect to see. The devil is in the details so be sure to dot your I’s and cross your T’s. Be sure this estimate is signed by both parties before the work gets started.
- Ask for the right to cancel. Homeowners should receive written notice of their right to cancel within three business days of signing the estimate. Additionally, in the state of Illinois contractors are required by law to inform you of your consumer rights.
Other Related articles
- Lennox icomfort Touch Thermostat| Orland Park, Joliet, Tinley Park
- Consumer Rights When Hiring Contractors| Villa Park, Homer Glen
- Chicago Energy Efficiency Rebates
- Chicago BBB Warns of Deceptive Air Duct Cleaners| Northlake, Oak Park
- A/C Repair – Chicago