Which refrigerant reigns supreme? This discussion has been going on for a few years now, and depending on what type of refrigerant your air conditioner uses, you may be biased towards one over the other. However, when you look at the facts, R-410a is the better choice over R-22. This is true for two reasons. First, R-410a is friendly to our environment, and second, R-410a is cheaper than R-22!
The Law of the Land
R-410a was created to be an environmentally friendly form of air conditioner refrigerant. Past forms of refrigerant like R-22 contained ozone depleting compounds and the damage being done to our environment by leaking air conditioners was becoming astronomical! That is why our government decided to take action. Since 2009 the government passed a law that banned the manufacturing of air conditioning units that required R-22. By 2020 R-22 will be completely eliminated from the HVAC industry, and as the years go by the amount of R-22 on the market will gradually decrease. This law has the potential to do a lot of good for our environment, but what does it mean for you as a consumer?
Money. Money, Money!
Well, odds are if you haven’t replaced your system in the past five years you don’t have a system that runs using R-410a. Many HVAC contractors are having a hard time keeping up with this law, and many have tried to push R-22 systems on unsuspecting customers. Why would they do something like this? The simple answer is MONEY!
- Future Service Costs: As the supply of R-22 decreases, the cost to the consumer will increase. Freon leaks are common and if you are one of the unfortunate homeowners that are still using an R-22 system, the cost for a simple recharge can be outrageous! Companies that don’t inform you of this fact are looking forward to the pay out they will get from you at future service calls.
- Costs Associated with Employee Training: For other companies, the real problem is the cost of retraining their employees. R-410a systems require additional training in order to be worked on properly, and many employers would rather stick with what they know rather than spend money exploring the unknown of these new systems. Eventually they will have no choice but to make the switch, but wouldn’t you rather use a company that was at the forefront of technology rather than one that is stuck in the past?
Air Conditioner Experts!
Choose a company that is constantly changing the way they do business so that they can keep up in this ever changing industry. Choose Four Seasons Heating and Air Conditioning! We are in full compliance with this law and we don’t sell are customers obsolete systems. So, if you are looking for a company that knows the ins and outs of the new R-410a systems, you have come to the right place. Call Four Seasons today to learn more about how you can upgrade your air conditioning this summer season!
Other Related articles
- Spring Air Conditioner Sale! | Steger, Forest Park, Woodridge
- A/C Replacement Just Makes Sense | Orland Park, Oak Lawn, Addison
- R-22 Phase Out| Calumet City, Plainfield, Addison
- Spring A/C Inspections and Cleanings
- Saving Money with the Sun| Westmont, Robbins, Hazel Crest