The multiple feet of snow that we received across the Chicagoland area have caused several problems for furnaces for many homeowners. The biggest problems resulted from old worn out units overworking to keep up with the cold and blocked exhaust pipes on newer high efficiency model furnaces. Furnace problems are not only frustrating and inconvenient, but they also can be dangerous. Furnaces create hazardous gases during the combustion process and unless they are vented safely from the home, these gases can backup into the home.
Older furnaces are traditionally vented through a chimney to the roof, but newer high efficiency units vent directly from the unit through plastic pipes that are often only a few feet off of the ground. When the snow reaches the levels that it has in recent weeks, these pipes can become blocked. Unless the snow is removed the furnace will either shut down or emit carbon monoxide in the home. Safety mechanisms usually will protect homeowners by not allowing the furnace to come on, but problems can occur that cause these mechanisms to not function properly. As a homeowner, there are a few steps you can take to stop this from happening in your home:
- Clear Away the Snow: Locate your furnace’s venting pipes and make sure that snow is cleared from the area. Periodically check the situation to ensure that there are no other obstructions.
- Install CO Detectors: Every home in Illinois should have several functional carbon monoxide detectors located on every floor. If your detectors are old or if you do not have any at all, have them replaced or installed immediately. Four Seasons Home Services offers both battery powered and hard wired systems that will help alert your family when levels of CO rise to dangerous levels.
- Call Four Seasons: If you don’t know where your venting system is or if your furnace is malfunctioning, you need to call Four Seasons. We will help locate the problem before if causes any more damage to your home and your family. If the problem is a blocked venting system, we can help clear the blockage and get your unit up and running safely in no time at all. We are open 24 hours a day for your convenience and safety.
Other Related articles
- Home Comfort Tips| Orland Park, Naperville, Westmont
- A Filter-less Furnace | Homewood, Tinley Park, Oak Lawn
- Furnace Repair Fraud! | Vernon Hills, Tinley Park, South Holland
- Winter Allergy Relief | Crest Hill, Country Club Hills, Riverdale
- Boost Radiator Efficiency in Your Home| Tinley Park, Woodridge