One of the most frequently asked questions in the HVAC industry is, “How often should I change my furnace filter?” Unfortunately, there isn’t one straightforward answer that we can give you because there are several factors that play a role in the condition of the filter. Obviously, the first step would be to check the packaging on the filter itself. Usually it will have a recommended length of time after which replacement will be needed. However, here at Four Seasons, we don’t want you to suffer the consequences that come from having a dirty filter, so we recommend that you check the filter monthly. If it is dirty, replace it. If not, wait another month and check again. But, some families should be checking their filters more frequently. These are people who have:
- Pets- pet hair quickly clogs furnace filters
- Several people living in the home- the more people in the home, the more dust and debris that will be floating in the air
- Recent construction in the home- Dust and debris from drywall and other construction materials will cause the filter to need to be changed more frequently
- Smokers- Depending on the type of filter you use, the chemicals in smoke can stop up filters quickly
- Allergies, Asthma, or other Respiratory or Immune Deficiency- People with these problems need the air to be as clean as possible, and one way to achieve that is through frequent filter changes
- Quality of filter- Cheap filters don’t do much to clean the air, but if you use very high efficiency filters, they may need to be changed more frequently due to their thickness and the possibility of restriction of airflow through the furnace if left in the system for too long
Any one of these reasons should cause you to check your furnace filter more frequently. If you ever have a question about changing you filter, give Four Seasons a call! We have the helpful advice you are looking for, and the services you will need most this winter season.
Other Related articles
- Choosing a Furnace Filter| Evanston, Darien, New Lenox
- What is That Smell?! | Cicero, Justice, Park Forest
- Change Your Furnace Filter Regularly| Oak Park, Bellwood, Melrose Park
- Do my Air Ducts need to be cleaned?
- Extend the Life of Your Furnace Lockport, Harvey, and Darien!