That all too familiar chill is in the air, and unfortunately it signifies the end of summer and the beginning of a long winter. September is rapidly coming to a close, and now is the perfect time to prepare your furnace for the season ahead. Many Chicagoans wait till the very last minute to turn the furnace on, and as a result, find themselves without heat during one of Chicago’s bitter cold nights. Luckily for them, Four Seasons is available 24 hours a day 365 days a year to help in these heating emergencies, but wouldn’t it be nice if you could avoid this inconvenience? Well, you can! By having Four Seasons Heating and Air Conditioning perform a tune-up on your furnace yearly, you can prevent unnecessary break downs and extend the life of your furnace.
Have you been Neglecting Your Furnace?
If you have been neglecting your furnace, you may already have a problem. Temperature variation, cracked heat exchangers, poor air quality, and premature system failure are among the major problems caused by lack of maintenance.
- Temperature Variations- This problem can be caused by a couple factors. If you have a poorly calibrated thermostat, the temperature may be set at a comfortable level, but the actual temperature in the home may be drastically different. When the thermostat isn’t working properly, the furnace won’t heat properly. Also, this problem could be cause by poor air flow. Poor air flow can be caused by a variety of issues, but when a furnace isn’t cleaned, dust and debris begin to build-up on vital components. The blower motor, for instance, is directly responsible for circulating air in the home. A clogged blower motor will struggle to deliver air to the various parts of your home. This causes the temperature to vary from room to room.
- Cracked Heat Exchanger- This part of the furnace gets beat up with each and every cycle. As the heat exchanger is warmed, the metal expands because of the high temperatures. In between cycles, the heat exchanger contracts as the temperature drops back down to normal. This constant expanding and contracting is what eventually causes cracks in the metal of the heat exchanger. These cracks are dangerous because they allow poisonous gases like carbon monoxide into the home.
- Poor Air Quality- The average furnace cycles between 45 and 150 times a day. During each of those cycles dust, dander, fungus, mold spores, and other airborne particles are circulated with the hot air through the home. Odds are if you aren’t having your furnace tuned-up yearly, you are also forgetting to care for your furnace’s air filter. Many times, people will even try to run their furnace without a filter instead of replacing it. As a result, the particles in the air are able to travel through the heat exchanger. They are burnt by the extreme heat and then circulated through the home. These particles become a residue that will collect on walls, ceilings, and furniture. Besides making your home filthy, they also pollute the air you breathe. If you have a family member who has asthma or allergies, contaminated air makes their condition much more difficult to manage.
- Premature System Failure- The average furnace lasts 15 to 20 years. That lifespan can either be extended or shortened based on how well you care for the unit. A dirty air filter can choke a furnace and cause failure due to a backup of particles in the system. Dirt build-up on the furnace’s burners will not allow for sufficient flames which causes an excess of soot on the heat exchanger. Rust is common in poorly maintained units, and it is like a disease that can kill your furnace. All of these and many more are caused by lack of maintenance.
What Four Seasons Can Do!
Four Seasons offers their customers a 20+ point certified furnace tune-up that can put your unit on the right track this coming winter season. Our NATE certified technicians will hand clean your heating system, and point out any places where improvements can be made. Also, each and every one of our servicemen are certified heat exchanger experts, and a full heat exchanger inspection is included in our yearly tune-up. Our goal is to get your furnace running as close to factory specifications as possible, and improve the unit’s overall efficiency. We are so confident in the benefits of this service that we offer a no breakdown guarantee. What that means is that if your furnace breaks down after a Four Seasons tune-up, we will return to your home for free! Call today to schedule your furnace’s yearly maintenance check with Four Seasons Heating and Air Conditioning.
Other Related articles
- Lennox icomfort Touch Thermostat| Orland Park, Joliet, Tinley Park
- Does My Furnace Need A Heat Exchanger Inspection?
- Extend the Life of Your Furnace Lockport, Harvey, and Darien!
- HVAC Tune-ups Can Save Lives| Sauk Village, Matteson, Oak Lawn
- Furnace and Duct Cleaning Questions in Streamwood and Hickory Hills